Sunday, November 2, 2008

My LOVE/HATE relationship with costumes

(this is the long version) Every year I resolve to make Halloween fun. Honestly, I dread it but don't want my kids to dread it so I put on a brave face and do my best. I try so hard to do anything to make it fun including hosting the annual "get together" and buying decorations to fill both the outside and inside BUT I always get stuck on the costumes. Sadly, this year was extra crazy so I let someone else host the party and never got around to doing decorations (so sad) but the cosume dilema was still hanging over my head. Pomai wanted to be Hannah Montana (all I could think of is YES! I don't have to buy a wig) but then Nalia wanted to be Hannah too. I tried to convince her to be Miley but she didn't like that because she is all about the GLITTER. Anela wanted to be a princess but I had a BYU cheerleading costume so I worked at convincing her that a cheerleader would be more fun.
So last Saturday we hit Saver's to find something, I kept telling myself I could make the costumes myself instead of buying them (the last two years I have left the costume shopping to Hanu and my girls did ask what they were going to get from Aunty Hanu this year). We quickly found a princess costume that Anela had to have - so much for cheerleading. We searched for all things sequined for Pomai's outfit but not much luck in her size. We did find a cute jeans jacket, a purple and black short skirt, fish net stockings, a glitter microphone and a bedazzled cap - ok that might work for Pomai. I could not find shoes for her but thought maybe we could figure something out later. Meanwhile Nalia was still whining that she couldn't be Hannah. But then she found a "dog house purse" (see pic) and I had found a pink sequin vest that matched the house and thought Paris Hilton (not the role model I want for my child) which led me to MOVIE STAR/GLAMOUR GIRL. Nalia LOVED the idea!
I was still uneasy about Pomai's costume (always listen to your gut) so I showed Mike and Kahi the pieces via the video phone. Mike hit the nail on the head when he said "Man if you just add leggings, Pomai could be Debbie Gibson" AAAAAHHHHH it was true that was the costume I had. I desperately tried to figure out how to get to town with everything else goin on. Luckily, Mari came to the rescue! She was going to town and found a pair of black boots, bracelets and makeup . They worked perfectly.
I was so happy with all the finishing touches I was able to make despite being costume challenged. I cut Pomai bangs (Yep - thanks to You tube) and took apart a pair of earrings to make her a pair of clip-ons, cut up a old onsie to cover Anela's pink headband and make it blue, and bent my earrings so they clipped on Nalia's ears. I got great satisfaction creating costumes this year instead of buying them all so surprisingly I hope I get to do it again next year.

1 comment: